Multiple Choice Questions on Pituitary Hormones & Disorders
1) Release of Anterior Pituitary hormones is regulated by the hormones secreted from the hypothalamus. Which of the following hormone is not released from the hypothalamus?
a) Growth hormone-releasing hormone
b) Thyroid Stimulating hormone
c) Gonadotropin-releasing hormone
d) Corticotrophin-releasing hormone
2) Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), leutinizing hormone (LH), and Follicular stimulating hormone (FSH) are the hormones released from the anterior pituitary gland. Which of the following is not a correct statement regarding them?
a) They belong to the glycoprotein family
b) Each has alpha and beta subunits.
c) The alpha subunits are identical
d) The beta subunits are identical
3) Proopopmelanocorticotropin (POMC) is a precursor for the following peptides EXCEPT:
a) Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)
b) Thyroid Stimulating hormone (TSH)
4) The growth hormone is synthesized by the anterior pituitary gland, and release into the circulation in a pulsatile manner. Which of the following statement is true regarding growth hormone
a) Secretion is decreased by sleep and physiological stress
b) Secretion is decreased by somatostatin & somatomedins
c) Growth hormone negatively regulates the secretion of Insulin-like growth factors
d) Growth hormone acts via G protein receptor family
5) The growth hormone binds to its cell surface receptor and activate
a) cGMP production
b) cAMP production
c) Tyrosine kinase activity
d) Calcium and Diacylglycerol
6) The metabolic action of growth hormones includes the following except
a) Increased glucose uptake into cells
b) Increased Lipolysis
c) Increased protein synthesis
d) Increased Bone Growth
7) Which of the following conditions do not manifest as short stature?
a) Hyposecretion of Growth hormone-releasing hormone
b) Failure to generation IGF in the liver
c) Growth hormone receptor deficiency
d) Hypersecretion of Growth hormone-releasing hormone
8) The condition associated with the onset of hypersecretion of growth hormone in adults is known as
d) None of the above
9) Which of the following hormone originates from the anterior pituitary?
b) Growth hormone-releasing hormone
c) Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH)
d) Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
10) A 50-years old man has "puffy" skin and is lethargic. His plasma TSH level is low and increased markedly when he is given Thyrotropin-releasing hormone. What is the likely cause?
a) Hyperthyroidism due to a thyroid tumor
b) Hyperthyroidism due to an abnormality in the hypothalamus
c) Hypothyroidism due to an abnormality in the thyroid
d) Hypothyroidism due to an abnormality in the hypothalamus
11) Which of the following increases secretion of growth hormone?
a) Insulin-like growth factor-1
d) Exogenous GH administration
12) Prolactin is structurally homologous to growth hormones and it is responsible for lactogenesis. Which of the following factors increase prolactin secretion?
d) Thyrotrophin-releasing hormone
13) Prolactin is structurally homologous to growth hormones and it is responsible for lactogenesis. Which of the following factors decrease prolactin secretion?
c) Thyrotrophin-releasing hormone
14) All the following statement are correct regarding the hyperprolactinemia ( prolactin excess) EXCEPT:
a) It results from hypothalamic destruction or prolactin-secreting tumors
b) It causes galactorrhea and decreased libido
c) It causes failure to ovulate and amenorrhea by inhibiting GnRH
d) Increased Domaine secretion
15) Which of the following hormones is synthesized by the posterior pituitary gland
a) LH & FSH
c) Antidiuretic hormone and Oxytocin
d) Growth hormone and Prolactin
16) The antidiuretic hormone (ADH) originates primarily in the supraoptic nuclei of the hypothalamus. Which of the following statement is FALSE regarding ADH?
a) ADH regulates serum osmolality by increasing the water permeability in the distal tubules and collecting ducts
b) ADH increases vascular smooth muscles
c) ADH secretion is decreased by arterial natriuretic peptide
d) ADH increases water reabsorption in proximal tubules
17) Oxytocin originates primarily in the paraventricular nuclei of the hypothalamus. Which of the following statement is FALSE regarding oxytocin?
a) Suckling is the major stimulus for oxytocin secretion
b) Dilation of the cervix and orgasm increases oxytocin
c) Oxytocin causes contraction of the uterus
d) None of the above
Multiple Choice Question Answer
1- b) Thyroid Stimulating hormone
2-d) The beta subunits are identical
4-b) Secretion is decreased by somatostatin & somatomedins
5-c) Tyrosine kinase activity
6-a) Increased glucose uptake into cells
7-d) Hypersecretion of Growth hormone-releasing hormone
9-d) Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
10)-b) Hyperthyroidism due to an abnormality in the hypothalamus
13)-d) Thyrotrophin-releasing hormone
14-d) Increased Domaine secretion
15)-c) Antidiuretic hormone and oxytocin
16)-d) ADH increases water reabsorption in proximal tubules
17-d) None of the above