Multiple Choice Question on Fungi and Fungal Infections
1) What are the different types of medically important fungal infections? Select from all the options below?
a) Superficial mycoses
c) Opportunistic mycoses
d) Systemic mycoses
2) Which of the following is NOT the general characteristics of fungi?
a) They are heterotypic eukaryotic cells
b) Many fungi contain glucose polymers
c) Reproduce asexually only
d) The cell wall is composed of lipids
3) Which of the following dimorphic fungi is an important human pathogen?
a) Cryptococcus neoformans
b) Blastomyces dermatitidis
d) Aspergillus niger
4) Which of the following statement is most correct about hyphae?
a) It is present in yeast and fungi
b) They are a group of mycelia
c) All fungi having hyphae consist of the separating wall called septa
d) The cell wall consists of a polysaccharide called chitin
5) What are different distinguishing characteristics between yeast and molds? Select from all the options given below
a) Yeast and molds both are multicellular organisms
b) Molds reproduce both asexually and sexually whereas Yeast reproduce asexually
c) Molds have fuzzy growth colonies and yeast form smooth colonies
d) Both molds and yeast appear in many different colors
6) Which of the following statement is most correct about Dermatophytosis?
a) Microsporum canis causes chronic dermatophytosis
b) Dimorphic fungi only cause dermatophytosis
c) It is the fungal invasion of tissues of hair, skin, and nails
d) The most common cause of lung infections
7) The pH level of the fungal culture media is an important growth factor for fungi, what is the best pH range for the growth?
a) pH 7 to 9
b) pH 3 to 5
c) pH 2 to 7
d) pH 4 to 6
8) All of the following are the common stain used in the direct microscopic examination for the fungal infection specimens, EXCEPT?
a) India Ink stain
b) Silver stain
c) Lactophenol cotton blue stain
d) Leishman’s stain
9) What color does the fungal cell wall appear when dyed with Periodic acid-Schiff stain?
c) It appears colorless
10) Which of the following fungi produces poisonous substance mycotoxin called aflatoxin and can
a) Candida albicans
c) Aspergillus flavus
11) The growth temperature is an important factor for dimorphic pathogenic fungi which exists both in yeast and mold.
12) Which of the following is the most correct statement regarding the Deuteromycetes also known as fungi imperfecti?
a) They are the causative agent of subcutaneous mycoses
b) The sexual reproduction method is not clearly known
c) They produce basidiospores through asexual reproduction method
d) None of the above
13) The yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae is most commonly used in the production of which of the following product?
b) Orange juice
14) What are the general characteristics of water molds? Select from all the options below
a) They are also called slime molds
b) The causative agent for potato and tomato diseases
c) They can also grow on freshwater
d) All of the above
15) What are the most common laboratory culture media for fungal growth? Select from all the options below
a) Sabouraud dextrose agar
b) Brain heart infusion agar
c) Thayer Martin medium
d) Cornmeal agar
Multiple Choice Answers
1- Option a, b, c and d
2-c) Reproduce asexually only
3-b) Blastomyces dermatitidis
4-d) Cell wall consists of a polysaccharide called chitin
5-Option b and c
6-c) It is the fungal invasion of tissues of hair, skin, and nails
7-d) pH 4 to 6
8-d) Leishman’s stain
10-c) Aspergillus flavus
12-b) The sexual reproduction method is not clearly known
14- c) They can also grow on freshwater
15- Option a & b